Tips to Achieve 11+ Success
The Grammar School Test is taking place tomorrow and we are very proud that all our Year 6 children are taking it. We wish them every success and whatever the outcome we are here for them.
Although this can be an anxious time for both children and their families, it is also a time of great excitement. Here are top tips from our teaching staff who have had the privilege to watch many pupils go through this experience and achieve success:
- Confidence is key, instil in your child the confidence that they can do this. They have spent many months learning, reading, preparing and boy, are they ready!
- Start the day with a healthy breakfast. A banana or healthy snack on the way is a good way to keep their blood sugar levels up, which aids concentration.
- Arrive in good time, have two adults in the car if possible. Traffic can be busy on the day and parking can be tricky. Having the option of an adult taking the child to the exam whilst the other parks the car can reduce stress levels.
- Check your child has everything they need for the test, i.e., a magic pencil and a rubber. A break time snack, bottle of water and a couple of tissues are also good.
- If they have a digital watch, turn any alarms off. Emphasise the need for your child to calculate their timings during the test. Listen to the instructor in the room!
- Start every question afresh, if you struggle on one, move on and do not dwell on it. Every question is a new opportunity. Never give up!
- Track answers, double check that they are in the correct spaces. The answer sheets can be tricky to fill in.
- Prepare your child to cope with any distractions within the exam room. They must stay focussed and keep their concentration.
Whether your child feels they have done well in the test or had a complete disaster, their commitment, time and determination deserve huge recognition. At Hopelands Preparatory School our knowledgeable and experienced teaching staff ensure that the pupils are ready for this test.
Over the last 5 years we have celebrated an average of 80% pass rate to Gloucestershire Grammar Schools. A fantastic achievement which we are very proud of, especially as we are a non-selective school. This is achieved through the individual attention and ongoing encouragement by our specialist teaching staff to all the pupils. Key to Hopelands is to instil a nurturing and personal environment which allows children to feel safe, grow and succeed.
To find out more about how Hopelands can support your child’s educational journey, please contact Mrs Sam Compton on 01453 822164 or firstname.lastname@example.org.