At Hopelands Preparatory school we believe it is important for all children to be given the access and knowledge to not only learn a new language, but to also gain an understanding of another county and their culture.
French is spoken by over 221 million people across five continents and is the second most widely learned language after English. It is the international language of cooking, fashion, theatre, visual arts, dance, and architecture.
Instilling a love of language at an early age has many benefits, at Hopelands Preparatory School we support this by having a specialist French teacher who teaches the children from Reception through to Year 6. Through learning from an expert, the children become fully immersed in the world of language. Not only does this build their language skills it also supports their transition to secondary school. Our French teacher, Madame Trebble, outlines the following benefits.
- Is fun! French provision at Hopelands offers the children the chance to explore French through games, songs, rhymes, and storytelling.
- Promotes self-confident and curious learners. Pupils are encouraged to become language detectives and as they learn to ‘crack the code’ there is a repeated sense of accomplishment.
- Enhances communication, social and literacy skills. Lessons focus on practising reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills.
- Provides opportunities to perform which nurtures pupils’ self-esteem.
- Improves memorisation skills and the ability to interpret meaning. Pupils are presented with many new items of vocabulary and structures.
- Enhances knowledges of your own language. As pupils’ study French grammar and compare it to their own, English grammar rules are reinforced and made clearer.
- Increases intercultural understanding. Pupils are encouraged to explore, compare and contrast aspects of culture with those of other countries.
- Develops critical thinking skills, problem solving, creativity and flexibility of mind. Learning a language helps to boost children’s cognitive development.
- Improves performance. Many studies have shown that foreign language learners tend to perform better in maths, reading and vocabulary tests than those who don’t!
Learning a language allows you to fully appreciate the culture and engage with local native speakers when traveling, hugely enhancing the experience of travel.
Gone are the days where French lessons consisted of looking through the Tricolore and wearing a beret on the obligatory French day. Now the children discover the wonder of language through songs, games, puzzles, storytelling and more.
If you wish to find out more about what Hopelands can offer for your child please contact us on 01453 822164 or email firstname.lastname@example.org